[Previous] [Next] [Index] [Thread]

Re: SECURITY ALERT: Password protection bug in Netscape 2.0b3

I think that if this is to be considered a bug, then the bug must be that
Netscape caches password protected pages at all.  The bug is not really
that you can access those old cached "protected" pages through the
browser by canceling the authentication and then using the "Back"
button -- you could just as easily access those pages through the file
system, or with the browser by accessing something like:

	file:/home/userid/.netscape/cache/10/cache30D5F9B006C638B

The problem also becomes having the proper file permissions set (which
Netscape handles) so that no one else can access your cached pages, and
the problems that arise through use of a shared browser.

So, if you're using a colleague's copy of Netscape to access protected
pages, make sure you clear the cache and exit the browser when you're
done if you don't want him to see any old copies of those pages.

-DaVe
 mccomb@is.gs.com		Information Security/Goldman Sachs
 Voice : (212) 357-1939		85 Broad St. 85B/09,  NY, NY 10004
 Fax   : (212) 357-1884		Beeper: 1(800)800-7759